Thursday 27 October 2011

Sehwag sets sights on win Down Under


Sehwag sets sights on win Down UnderVirender Sehwag is on the verge of regaining full fitness and he is focussed on helping India win the Test series in Australia.
Sehwag, who recently went through shoulder surgery, is playing domestic cricket and is hopeful of being fit in time to play the upcoming series against the West Indies.
However, his big dream is to guide India to a historic Test series win Down Under. In the midst of it all, Viru is also spending time to put plans in place for his new sports academy in Haryana.
Speaking to a leading newspaper, Sehwag sounded confident about his recovery from shoulder surgery. "My shoulder is shaping up nicely after the rehabilitation. I'm also playing domestic games for Delhi now to check my match fitness and get back into the groove. I hope I should be able to play the West Indies series."
The Indian opener has always been viewed as someone with special talent, someone who does not necessarily have to toil for hours at the crease to get big scores. He is considered to be an exact opposite of Rahul Dravid, who works for hours together and works very hard at that. For a youngster who wants to emulate Sehwag, he has a very clear-cut take on the hard work involved in achieving one's goal.
He said: "Talent is nothing without hard work, discipline and dedication. These are the most important aspects in an athlete's life. This is what I have been taught by my coaches and seniors. My advice to every youngster is that talent is god-given but you cannot perform to your potential unless you work hard and be disciplined in your routine."
Viru has achieved staggering heights in his career. But there are unfulfilled dreams, still, that he wants to realise for the country. "There is lots left to achieve. Winning a Test series in Australia is something that comes immediately to my mind," he said.
Having come a long way ever since he made his debut way back in 2001, Sehwag sees quite a few major differences between ten years back and the present. "The striking difference as a batsman lies in the planning of an innings, knowing the importance of staying at the crease for as long as possible. Now I know better. Now I know that even if there is a slow-scoring period in my innings, I can cover up later by scoring faster when the bowlers are tired," he said.
Sehwag is happy that India are back to their winning ways, at home, after suffering the embarrasment on English soil. On asked why do even good teams like India and England struggle so much away from home, Viru said the trend is historic in nature.

He said: "Yes, we are winning again. It should be a habit, but I don't really know what went wrong in England since I only played a couple of games there. Winning abroad is never easy for any team. Even good teams like Australia at their best were beaten in India - the conditions are not what one is used to playing since childhood."

India have found some promising pacers in Varun Aaron and Umesh Yadav, who are bowling faster than the usual norm. Sehwag feels they should be nurtured properly so that they don't lose out on their pace in the future. "They are good future prospects. It's not always about speed but accuracy too. Glenn McGrath was not express fast but was the best around in his playing days. We need to make sure that they are on an upward learning curve by playing them more at the highest level. They should keep working on their game and fitness."
The Delhi dasher's eyes lit up when asked about his new academy.

He reminisced: "I remember the days of daily struggle as a youngster. Reaching the cricket grounds for matches all the way from Najafgarh, the hard work, the sweat and toil. It was my father's wish that one day I should come up with an academy where deserving cricketers should not only get to learn but also have residential facilities so they don't have to go through the same struggles I did. I want to build it as a centre of excellence.
"This academy will not only train budding cricketers but youngsters will also have opportunity to train with the best in other sporting disciplines. There is horse riding, swimming, tennis, badminton and wrestling, apart from cricket. Olympic-medal winning wrestler Sushil Kumar, famous shuttler Pullela Gopichand and renowned swimmer Khazan Singh are just a few names involved," he added.

On the 'Viru vs You' initiative, Sehwag said: "This is a unique offer where youngsters can bowl at me on October 29. If they can get me clean bowled, they will get free training in my academy. There have been several occasions when fans have come up to me and asked, "What's so special, so different about your batting?" Many have expressed their eagerness to come and bowl at me.

"Hundred lucky youngsters will get the opportunity to bowl and whoever is successful in getting me out will get to train in my academy for free the next summer. So here lies your opportunity to have a go. Make the most of it. I just hope they all don't get me bolwed," said Sehwag in good humour.

There has been a cultural shift in Indian batting from the "Mumbai school of batting" to the "Delhi school". More and more young players are coming out of Delhi now rather than Mumbai. Sehwag believes it has got do with the ever-increasing popularity of the game.

"In fact, players are coming from all over the country now, especially from smaller towns. This includes me too. It's more to do with the increasing popularity of the game in those corners. Also, the confidence of the young Indians in general has increased. They are not afraid to take on the world at any platform," concluded Sehwag.

No comments:

Post a Comment